A Gathering Place
where we make memories
and new lives begin
amongst our friends
The Captain Morse House is the perfect venue to host a wedding or event.
Our large lawn and patio can accommodate up to 150 standing and 100 seated.
Host your event under our three magnificent Linden trees or under a magical Sail Cloth Tent.
Reunions and Retreats
The Captain Morse House is the perfect place to gather associates ,classmates, or family
We can comfortably host 100 for a sit-down dinner and 150 invitations for a stand-up cocktail party. The beautiful 32′ x 70′ or 30′ x 50′ Sperry Tent works perfectly in the yard.
Events we are perfect for:
- Wedding ceremonies
- Receptions ( 100 is the magic number)
- Rehearsal dinners
- Post wedding brunches
- Corporate Retreats and team building
- Cocktail Parties
- Lodging for the wedding party
- Clambakes, Barbeques, and special dinners
- Fund Raisers
Events we are not a good fit for
- Large wedding or events with guests over 125
- Late night parties
- Bachelor or Bachelorette parties
- Late loud music or dancing because we are in a residential neighborhood.
Rate Guide for Events
- All rates are in addition to our standard lodging rates – 4 day minimum
- On the patio for up to 30 people – No Charge with stay
- On the patio for up to 50 people – $2,000 – no setup on the lawn
- One event on the lawn with tent – $5,000 (full floor required) – add. days $2,000
- Tent Installation sizes 32 x 50 or 32 x 70
- Caterers must use a separate cook tent setup in driveway
- All bar service and buffet lines must be setup on the patio
- Events over 50 people must rent a separate comfort facility installed in the driveway
- Included items are 100 amp dedicated service and pre-installed tent anchors
Comparable Wedding Venues (pricing approximate)
We are first and foremost a luxury vacation rental home that occasionally allows our guests to host elegant and tasteful events. Only a few of our guests are allowed to host an event at the Captain Morse House each year. We are in a beautiful neighborhood so events at the house need to be classy and low impact. This is not the venue for a blowout event.
Popular events we have hosted include weddings, vow renewals, celebrations of life, clambakes, university fundraisers, class reunions, corporate retreats, family reunions, golf outings, birthdays, anniversaries, to name a few.
The Captain Morse House has one of Edgartown’s largest backyards fronting historic Morse Street. The yard is also almost four feet above the street grade which allows for great views down Morse St. to the harbor and west for the sunset. Photographers love our natural light at the end of the day and our three huge Linden trees.
Events must end and the house be quiet at 10:00 pm. For late-night entertainment, there are several great places downtown within easy walking distance like the Wharf Pub, Atlantic, the Port Hunter, and the Seafood Shanty.
The order for booking is to secure the house for lodging first and then fill out the Event Application Form once your plans are complete. Once co-signed by the landlord and tenant, this agreement provides a modification to the Property Lease Section 1 granting permission for an event.
We recommend either a party planner or an experienced caterer to handle the event production and any required permits. We provide no event planning services. We strongly suggest getting everything done well before your event and in any case 90 days before your arrival. Here is a link to Edgartown Applications and Permits.
We require event Liability Insurance and travel insurance of $3,000,000 naming VCJ Property, LLC as co-insured. Policies protect both of us.
Terms and Conditions
A lot of rules but all designed to protect the home. The home can provide a wonderful and memorable evening for the right group and use.
- No event will be allowed that has not received permission from the landlord 60 days before the start of the lease
- The backyard can accommodate a tent up to 32′ x 70′ which will hold 100-125 for a sit-down dinner or 200 (max) for a cocktail party
- This property is in a residential neighborhood. Town noise ordinances are strictly enforced. Events must be respectful. Any music must end according to town ordinance at 10 pm. Music must be played at a moderate volume. Guests should be leaving by 9:30 pm with all guests gone and the house (especially outdoor areas) quiet by 10:00 pm
- All material provided for the event including all household trash shall be properly secured and then removed from the premises by noon the day after the event
- If dancing is planned then tenant shall install a dance floor. The lawn must be kept in good condition for the next tenant. Heavy foot traffic must not be allowed to occur without suitable protection of the lawn
- Your caterer is required to file a Special Event Caterer Reporting Form with the Edgartown Board of Health
- Tenant and tenant’s vendors shall take sole responsibility for complying with all laws
- Event guests are not permitted to use the interior of the house. For more than 50 people on premises, a portable toilet must be placed in the driveway for guest’s use
- Maximum Occupancy of the property is not to exceed 200 people at any time.
- This is a no smoking property.
- There is no onsite parking.
- Tenant gives Landlord permission to communicate directly with your event suppliers about the event.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice
For event planning ideas Google Martha’s Vineyard Weddings
Also see this link for general providers: MVOL-Weddings
Caterers: Links to Links-Advice Page
Here is a link to to latest information on Edgartown’s required permits.
Your caterer or event planner will take care of these for you. These permits are subject to change.