A Gathering Place
where we make memories
and new lives begin
amongst our friends
The Captain Morse House is the perfect venue to host a wedding or event.
Our large lawn and patio can accommodate up to 150 standing and 100 seated.
Your guests can relax in our welcoming and comfortable home. Host your event under our three magnificent Linden trees or under a magical Sail Cloth Tent.
Reunions and Retreats
The Captain Morse House is the perfect place to gather classmates, family or team members.
You can bond and learn when all your guests stay under one roof.
We can comfortably host 100 for a sit-down dinner and 150 for a stand-up cocktail party. We recommend the beautiful 32′ x 70′ or 30′ x 50′ Sperry Tent in the yard.
Events we are perfect for:
- Wedding ceremonies
- Receptions ( 100 is the perfect number)
- Rehearsal dinner
- Post wedding brunches
- Corporate Retreats
- Cocktail Parties
- Lodging for the wedding party
- Clambakes and dinners
- Fund Raisers
Events we are a bit small for
- Large wedding or events with guests over 150
- Late night parties
- Bachelor or Bachelorette parties
- Late loud music or dancing because we are in a residential neighborhood.
Rate Guide for Events
- Events for less than 30 people – no installations on the lawn – No Charge
- Event for up to 50 people – no installations on the lawn – $750
- Events up to 100 people – $1,500
- Events up to 150 people (Maximum) – $3,000
- Erect a tent on the lawn – $2,000 (tent sizes 32 x 50 or 32 x 70)
- Any music will require the tent to have a full sized floor
- A security deposit equal to the event fee is required
- All bar service and buffet lines must be setup on the patio or the floor.
- All events over 50 people require a separate comfort facility installed in the drieway
Comparable Wedding Venues (pricing approximate)
We do not rent the house out for just one day. We are a vacation rental home that occasionally does events, not the other way around. Having a great place to stay right next to the event is a great feature.
We’ve had all sorts of weddings, vow renewals, celebrations, clambakes, corporate retreats, family reunions, golf outings, birthdays, anniversaries, you name it. The Captain Morse House has one of Edgartown’s largest backyards. It is almost four feet above the street grade which allows for great views down Morse St. to the harbor and west for the sunset. Photographers love our natural light at the end of the day.
You can select a Tent from several of the Island’s premier party planning headquarters. We have pre-installed tent anchors to improve the look of the installation and reduce clutter. We also have a separate 100 amp electrical service to the backyard to support tent lighting, heat, catering, music, and entertainment.
Events can run until 10:00 pm with the house quiet by 11:00 pm. For late-night entertainment, there are several great places downtown within easy walking distance like the Wharf Pub, Atlantic, the Port Hunter, and the Seafood Shanty.
Below is a list of the information you will need to gather before filling out the Event Application Form. The application, when co-signed by the landlord and tenant, provides a modification to the Property Lease Section 1 allowing an event.
Permits will be secured by your caterer or party planner. Regardless, it is up to the Tenant to ensure that all permits are filed in a timely manner. We suggest getting everything done well before your event. Here is a link to Edgartown Applications and Permits you may need.
Event Liability Insurance of $3,000,000 must be purchased by the guest and name VCJ Property, LLC as co-insured. Contact your insurance agent or review this website www.wedsafe.com
Terms and Conditions
A lot of rules but all designed to protect the home. The home can provide a wonderful and memorable evening for the right group and use.
- No event will be allowed that has not received permission from the landlord 60 days before the start of the lease
- The backyard can accommodate a tent up to 32′ x 70′ which will hold 100-125 for a sit-down dinner or 200 (max) for a cocktail party
- This property is in a residential neighborhood. Town noise ordinances are strictly enforced. Events must be respectful. Any music must end according to town ordinance at 10 pm. Music must be played at a moderate volume. Guests should be leaving by 9:30 pm with all guests gone and the house (especially outdoor areas) quiet by 10:00 pm
- All material provided for the event including all household trash shall be properly secured and then removed from the premises by noon the day after the event
- If dancing is planned then tenant shall install a dance floor. The lawn must be kept in good condition for the next tenant. Heavy foot traffic must not be allowed to occur without suitable protection of the lawn
- Your caterer is required to file a Special Event Caterer Reporting Form with the Edgartown Board of Health
- Tenant and tenant’s vendors shall take sole responsibility for complying with all laws
- Event guests are not permitted to use the interior of the house. For more than 50 people on premises, a portable toilet must be placed in the driveway for guest’s use
- Maximum Occupancy of the property is not to exceed 200 people at any time.
- This is a no smoking property.
- There is no onsite parking.
- Tenant gives Landlord permission to communicate directly with your event suppliers about the event.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice
For event planning ideas Google Martha’s Vineyard Weddings
Also see this link for general providers: MVOL-Weddings
Caterers: Links to Links-Advice Page
Also consult with your own insurance agent